When a woman reaches the age of mid 30s and above, it is difficult for her to conceive a child through natural means. The ideal time to give birth to a baby is between 20 to 30 years old, which if not considered can result in complications. For those who wish to have a child after the age of 30 or 40 years, or for those couples who are infertile (there are a number of reasons behind it), consider IVF treatment as a boon for them. IVF has helped a lot of couples to give birth to a child and they have not regretted their decision.
IVF or In Vitro Fertilization is a process in which an egg and sperm are fertilized under appropriate lab conditions, outside the body, to create an embryo for the couples who are infertile and unable to conceive a baby. When other methods of assisted reproductive technology fail to deliver results, IVF comes into picture. It has been increasingly undertaken by a number of couples who are unable to conceive and have ended up with successful and satisfactory results. The treatment is becoming more and more common in the country and it is becoming the first priority amongst all assisted reproductive technology.
Important Factors to be considered for an IVF Treatment
- Age of the woman: As we have talked about the age factor of a woman for child birth, it forms a vital aspect for you to consider while planning a baby. Women in their mid 30s and above have difficulties in having natural pregnancy. If you are above 40, you are usually not allowed to use your own egg for fertilizing a mature embryo.
- Quality of the egg: As you age, the quality of the egg you produce diminishes. That is the reason women above 40 years are recommended to use an egg donation for increasing the chances of natural pregnancy.
- Embryo transfer: Once the embryo has developed in the lab, it is checked for proper diagnosis of quality and made sure that it is mature enough. Prior to that, the eggs are retrieved at the stage of maturation in an IVF cycle (which is pretty much different than a normal menstrual cycle) and are fertilized thereafter. The most suitable and healthy embryo is embedded in the uterus for further development.
After a few weeks of embryo transfer, you are tested for your pregnancy result. In most of the cases, the result is positive and the process works as a natural pregnancy stage. The child birth is normal and there is no difference between the natural and IVF process. The treatment does not involve major risks and is considered safe.
Advantages of IVF
- Natural child birth takes place and the baby born is healthy.
- Some genetic disorders such as Hungtington’s disease, cystic fibrosis and muscular dystrophy ca be screened and diagnosed during the IVF treatment using IVF- PGD.
- Multiple embryos are fertilized and the healthiest and most matured of all is embedded in the uterus.
- Women over 40 years can also get pregnant.
You can test and detect the reason behind your infertility and it can be treated effectively.