There are various research reports published in past who listed a certain number of foods that boost the intelligence and helps in efficient functioning of the brain. People, who included these foods in their daily routine, have reaped the benefit of a good memory. Old age people, who still possess good memory, included these foods in their routine. These food items are highly recommended for the people who often perform a critical task which requires efficient brain functioning. They are a boon for everyone including students preparing for exams, or managers in the corporate world trying to remember small details of their work, or even homemaker to manage multiple chores together.
Following are the essential foods which are proven to boosts intelligence of human brain:
- Milk & Cheese: Including milk in daily routine reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease. A glass of warm milk helps a lot in enhancing the memory. The brain requires fat for functioning and demands food which is rich in fat. Milk & Cheese are the foods which provide essential fat to the Brain. Milk also contains protein, vitamin, and calcium which help in the functioning of the brain.
- Fish and Sea Food: Fish contains omega 3 fatty acids which help in the development of the brain. Omega 3 Fatty acid contains docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which helps in enhancing neurological activities in the brain cells and improves memory. Phosphorus present in fish helps in functioning of nervous system. A person looking to increase his IQ should include fish in his/her diet. Fish is easily available on the market and cheap. Other seafood like seaweed, algae can also be included in the diet to boost brain power.
- Liver: Our brain consumes almost 25% of the total body’s oxygen intake. Iron is an essential element which helps carry oxygen to the brain with the help of hemoglobin in the blood. The liver is rich in iron and also an important source of Vitamin B like B1, B6, B9 and B12, which improve the cognitive function of the brain.
- Eggs: The egg is an important source of iron, the egg yolk particularly. Eggs are rich in phospholipids and lecithin, both of which are components of the brain cell membrane. Eggs are the leading source of proteins and amino acids which are crucial in the production of the neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters, are chemicals which transfer the message from the brain to the body cells, for instance, noradrenalin, stimulates learning, and is produced from the synthesis of tyrosine and phenylalanine, which are found in eggs’ proteins.
- Green Leafy Vegetables: A very important part of a healthy diet is the regular intake of green leafy vegetables like spinach, broccoli, kale, cabbage and collard greens. One can include them as a salad alongside the regular meal, daily, as this help to improve the memory power.
- Avocado: Avocado is rich in vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, antioxidants, and folate. Vitamin K and folates reduce the chances of blood clotting in the brain, thereby maintain a good flow of oxygen and nutrients to the brain. This keeps the brain healthy and boosts your memory power.
- Walnut: Walnuts are important for brain functioning and improve memory power. Walnuts contain vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants in high amounts. Vitamin E helps prevent Alzheimer’s while minerals and antioxidants improve alertness and concentration. Walnuts are tasty and can be munched as evenings snacks, without any additional effort of preparation.
- Berries: Blueberries, Blackberries, Strawberries and Cherries are a rich source of pigments like anthocyanins and flavonoids They can help delay the age-related decline in the cognitive functioning of the brain. Gallic acid in blueberries prevents degeneration of the brain.
The brain is an important asset to humans and many of the mental illness do not have a guaranteed cure, unlike normal injuries and other diseases. It is, therefore, essential to take care of your brain on a daily basis, as your brain is irreplaceable. The brain is the one which regulates all the voluntary functions of the body. One of the simplest ways to keep your brain in good health is to include these food items in your diet.