When you decide to move into the next phase of life, Parenthood, besides mentally, you need to be more ready physically. There are following ways in which you can prepare and care before your conceive.
- Schedule a preconception visit with your Doctor. The Doctor will review your and family’s history, examine your medical background. Your diet, weight, lifestyle, habits, everything will be discussed and brought to a more healthy level. This helps stay healthy and avoid any obvious kind of diseases.
- Consider genetic carrier screening helps you find out if there will be any genetic disease likely to reproduce in your pregnancy. You can meet with a genetic counsellor who will be able to tell you more about the condition and help you sort out your reproductive choices.
- Intake of folic acid and Vitamin A supplement is crucial. 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid a day for at least a month before you conceive and during your first trimester, can reduce the chance of you having a baby with neural-tube defects such as spine bifida by 50 to 70 percent. Consult your Doctor on the dosage and frequency.
- Absolutely give up drinking, smoking, and drugs, also seek help for the same if you need. If you have been into any such addictions, quit them right away. Such addictions hold the risk and can lead to miscarriage, premature birth, and low-birth-weight babies.
- Have healthy foods at home so that you are left with no choice but to keep eat healthy. You are yet to eat for two, but nutritious food choices and healthy practices will be beneficial to get into the phase.
- Check your caffeine intake for it impacts equally. Although there is no such consensus about caffeine intake. But, it is advisable to watch it, to avoid any after effects.
- Aim for a healthy weight, even if you are obese or underweight. Try achieving that righteous figure advisable for your body. Having a low or high body mass index (BMI) makes it a little difficult to attain pregnancy.
- Pay attention to the fish you eat, in case you relish fish a lot, watch your intake. If you’re a big fan of fish, start watching your intake. Although fish is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, extremely important for your baby’s brain and eye development. Since fishes also contains mercury, which can be harmful.
- Start exercising if you have not been for so long. To increase flexibility, try stretching or yoga, to attain an overall well-rounded fitness. You can initiate with walking, jogging and start developing a routine of exercise.
- See your dentist to get your oral health examined. It is laid that hormonal shifts during pregnancy makes you susceptible to gum disease.
- Consider money matters with respect to savings and expected expenses. This will help you to work out dispensable income. Factors like diet, medication, insurance schemes, testings etc, should be accounted for.
- Consider your mental health and emotional wellness. Any level of stress, anxiety, depression can be a major obstacle in conception. Adopt healthy habits, go for recreational activities, adapt to optimistic surroundings and people.
- Avoid infections even if cough or cold. Any kind of infection be it respiration, blood, skin anything, infection in any form can be harmful.
- Reduce environmental risks with respect to your physical interface. If you are exposed to extensive travel, rigorous working, exposed to chemicals or radiation, you need to make some evident changes while preparing for conception.
- Think your decision through and overall. A child needs lifetime commitment and discipline. It will bring along a lot of responsibility and life changes.
- Figure out when you ovulate and track your menstrual cycles. Make a note of your body temperature, body changes and tendencies, etc, so that the timing factor contributes. These data, ovulation calendar and your Doctor can guide you well.
Toss your birth control mechanisms. But going off hormonal contraception can require a bit more planning. What is required is to reverse the effects of the Pill, the patch, or the ring is to stop using them.