Keyhole surgery is the generic name for minimally invasive spine surgery. The onset of this sophisticated technology has made spine surgery in India as never before.
The need of Spinal Treatments arise in case of a slipped disc. The treatment to cure the slipped disc may vary from conservative to surgical methods, depending upon the extent of displacement.
- Initial Treatment: In the initial time, the back pain may subside on its own with help of exercising or stretching under the guidance of a physical therapist. Even the over the counter pills may give relief. In case of persistent pain, the doctor may advise give strong medication or pain killers.
- Surgery: Even after six weeks of exercise, therapy or medication the slip disc does not improve and affects your routine life, doctors tend to at last, recommend surgery.
This surgery is carried out in the following two ways:
- Decompression surgery: This method is used for discs that are less damaged. The damaged part of the disc is removed which frees the nerve root and helps reduce the pain.
- Stabilization surgery: In case of completely damaged disc stabilization surgery is performed. In this process the diseased disc is removed and an implant is made to stabilize the spine.
A 5mm cut is drawn in the back. Then, an incision of 10 cm is made to the side of the spine and a small endoscope, i.e. a small thin tube carrying a camera at the end of it is inserted through the skin with the help of X-rays, to the damaged point. Further the dissected part of the disc is pulled out with the help of graspers. This procedure completes in about an hour. Once the endoscope is taken out , just a plaster is put over the incision. No stitches are required. This even does not need a overnight stay at hospital. Even if you feel a little pain of discomfort a simple paracetamol will prove sufficient. Although the person is sent home the same day, but, proper rest is highly recommended for stronger and faster recovery.
Advantages of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery:
- Small incision. The cut is tiny, as compared to 18 cm in the traditional method.
- The tissues are only shifted aside, where as muscles are cut and spinal canal is opened in the older methods.
- Wide spectrum treatment. Can treat many disc problems like sciatica etc.
- Takes about an hour and no stitches are there.
- The success rate is same as the conventional surgery.
- Very fewer chances of infection or blood clots.
- Patients can home the very same day.
- Quicker recovery and is really low on the pocket.